Jane said that she likes rainbows, appreciates practical items and was happy to buy any size cushion insert. Being a Wombat Stew item it had to be paper pieced. I had been wanting to try a circle of flying geese for awhile so I jumped in and gave it a go.
I used this free template (you may remember I made a mini for the School Director also using this pattern) and found it came together quite quickly. I used some Aviary 2 for the back with some fabric covered buttons.
I am a bit addicted to quilting. I haven't been doing it for very long, and I certainly couldn't claim that any of my quilting is perfect, but I totally LOVE quilting. I've even starting fantasizing about a long arm... But for now I am content to use up lots of thread FMQing my heart out with a bit of SLQ for good measure :)
I stalked Jane's pinterest boards (she is a bit of a pinterest Queen if you need someone to follow!) and was inspired by this cushion that she had pinned twice (that's a good sign right, when you like something so much you pin it multiple times?) :) I had recently purchased a rainbow of Aurifil threads in preparation for quilting Mr 6's I Spy quilt and decided to break them out for Jane's cushion cover. The pebbling is done with Aurifil 40wt 2024, the rainbow quilting in the centre is all done with Aurifil 50wt, I love how the colours are so bright and really jump out at you.
Even the back looks good :)
I actually nearly made it into a mini but I remembered that Jane likes practical items, so I went with cushion cover :) I did sew the back to the front in such a manner that she can easily cut off the back and bind it to turn it into a mini herself. I'm nothing if not indecisive ;) Can't you just imagine it with a burnt orange binding hanging on the wall?
The prints were all selected from my scraps and the white is either a moda bella or kona. I really need to label my solids!!!
The other finish that was actually from this week, but coincidentally also for Jane, was my first bee block for the year. Jane requested a winged square block using a tutorial by During Quiet Time with Spotlight homespun for the main fabric. I originally started out with only three prints in each colour but when I laid out the HSTs it was too repetitive so I went back to my stash and found another six prints. I'm really happy with how the block turned out and just as happy that I actually posted it today! Yeah baby, January bee block posted on the 4th! :)
|The block, unlike the photo, is straight :)|
I'm linking up with TGIFF over at Quokka Quilts.